Romance in Fallout 4 will be covered on this page. Certain NPCs after raising their Affinity to its highest point will give the player the option to romance them. Romance gives an added bonus beyond any of the Companion Perks conferred from the highest affinity in the form of the Perk Lover's Embrace. This perk grants an additional 15% XP gain for a short time after sleeping beside your beloved.
- Piper - Diamond City Newspaper
- Paladin Danse - Brotherhood Paladin
- Cait - Combat Zone, Cage combatant
- MacCready - Goodneighbor, Mercenary for hire at the third rail
- Curie - Medical 'Nurse handy' in Vault 81
- Preston Garvey - Lieutenant General of the Minutemen
- John Hancock - Mayor of Goodneighbor
- Magnolia - Goodneighbor, Singer at the Third Rail is not a romance in the traditional affinity sense but rather an individual you can have an intimate encounter with.
Piper - Romance Guide
Well, Piper is one easy to romance character (And the only one I tried.). When talking to individuals through the wasteland, make sure to choose the peaceful dialog options and avoid selfish and violent ones. For example if someone says "Hey, let's split this 50-50," just accept it and do not try something like 70-30 (Referring to the quest Diamond City Blues). Remember that even if you fail the Charisma check while persuading, the affinity still will be calculated, should you fail to convince two people to stop fighting each other, Piper will still love that (Well, at least you tried.). She also likes it when you talk positively about love in front of her.
Lockpicking un-owned containers and doors (which aren't red) also raises her affinity towards you.
Never take owned items (a.k.a. stealing) and/or pick others' pockets in front of her.
Through dialogs, you can choose to flirt with her. Failing in Charisma check doesn't affect her affinity towards you (Don't know if it raises it if you succeed.). When she says that the Vault Dweller is the only reliable friend she always had, you can choose to romance her (Beware: a very difficult Charisma check is in order. You may want to use Grape Mentats as they raise your Charisma by 5 points.)
Building settlements seems to raises her affinity too, so most of the Minutemen quest raises her affinity.
A couple of dialog options that raises her affinity:
- In Diamond City Blues quest, convince Paul to spare Cooke. Later, choose that you don't kill Trish if she tells you the location of the lab.
- In Unlikely Valentine quest, when confronting Skinny Malone, while talking to Darla, choose "Go Home" option (If I recall the name correctly).
Cait - Romance Guide
Cait is a little difficult to romance if you're helping every settler you see and, of course, have joined the Minuteman. She will dislike it if you help anyone, and will like it if you are a violent and sarcastic person. For example, when Sturges gives you the job to rebuild Sanctuary Hills, choose sarcastic dialog options. Although you'll actually help, her affinity towards you raises. Lockpicking, picking a pocket, stealing, bribing, and using alcohol and chems will raise her affinity too. Two first talks with Cait leads to she introducing herself to the Vault Dweller. The third is when the quest Benign Intervention begins.
At this time, Cait confesses that she's been using Psycho all the time you were together, and she wants to get that "shite" out of her "system".
This quest is really difficult! On your way to Vault 95, you encounter several Super Mutant infested places. The entrance to Vault 95 is literally hell on earth. Two Assaultrons and a bunch of Gunners are guarding that place and are more than happy to eliminate you, so, go and get yourself some levels before going there. As a side note: if her affinity towards you raises during this quest (even if you decide to do this quest later while having it in your quest list, it is during the quest), it counts but won't take effect till you complete the quest. After doing this mission, the factors that raise her affinity towards you changes. She'll dislike it when you use chems, and will no longer like it when you use alcohol. After getting the message "Cait idolizes you", simply go talk to her. She tells you that she wanted to look you in the eye and tell you how she feels, and then will tell the Vault Dweller to do the same. Here's where the romance option becomes available. You need to pass a difficult Charisma check in order to romance her. There might be another chance to romance her.
A couple of dialog options that raises her affinity:
- In Diamond City, while talking to Moe Cronin for the first time, ask what baseball is. Then choose "More violent".
- While talking to Sturges about rebuilding the Sanctuary, choose "Sarcastic".
- In Unlikely Valentine quest, when confronting Skinny Malone, while talking to Darla, choose "Encourage violence" option. Unlike Piper, you have to successfully pass the Charisma check, and that's a very difficult one.
- Give Mama Murphy some jet. (Before completing the quest Benign Intervention)
Preston Garvey - Romance Guide
Preston is the easiest to romance if you decide to do the Minutemen quests. Helping settlers, establishing settlements, and killing bad guys greatly help raising his affinity towards you. He also likes it when you customize your guns using Materials (Not attaching a mod). He hates it when you pick a pocket and dislikes it when you trespass, pick a pocket, and use a chem. Once you get the message "Preston idolizes you", it's time to take your shot at romancing him. At this point, he tells you that if it wasn't for you, he would have just end it. You can romance him by succeeding in a difficult charisma check.
A couple of dialog options that raises his affinity:
- Choosing Minuteman in doing the radiant settlement quests.
Imagine if you could romance Strong, lol.
Piper is my favorite companion. She’s cute, a good person, and I like the way she talks.
You can get a lot of free Preston affinity for talking to piper and being a positive person. gl to all of you
Thanks this really help because im trying to get piper
Cait is the best companion.Best personality and talent.She can open any lock.Plus ginger,plus irish.
For cait and Hancock just unequip all your apparel and fast travel between any 2 locations a fair distance apart and bam. Easy romance.
Also, a robobrain in the far harbor dlc